Friday, July 7, 2023

 

Unsettled and Dissatisfied

 Have you ever felt like you were in a place where you didn’t belong?  Have you ever felt like you just couldn’t settle into your life?  Have you ever felt like there should be something “more” in your life?  I’m sure we all have.  That’s not a common experience for me.  I’m generally content with my life and where I am.  For the last few months, I’ve felt unsettled, dissatisfied, frustrated, envious of friends who are retired and going on adventures with their spouses, tired of being alone (singleness was never what I wanted) ….just overall not thrilled with where I am in life.  I thought it was a passing phase that vacation, a few days at the beach, would cure.  It didn’t. 

 I’ve been going through a Bible study called “Discerning the Voice of God” by Priscilla Shirer.   For too long, I’ve been listening to/for other voices.  Now, I’m working on listening for God’s voice. 

How do I get to where I can hear God’s voice? 

  •  Obedience is key
  •  Five “M’s” of correctly hearing God
    • Look for the Message of the Spirit – intentionally listen
    • Live in the Mode of Prayer – submit anything you think you’re hearing back to Him in prayer
    • Search out the Model of Scripture – does what you think you’re hearing contradict the character of God or His Word
    • Submit to the Ministry of Eli (story of Samuel) – seek the counsel of a wise, more mature believer who is practiced in discerning God’s voice in their own life
    • Expect the Mercy of Confirmation – ask God to confirm His message through His Word, through circumstances, or even through another person
  • Stop frantically searching for God’s will; start frantically searching for God Himself.
  • The Holy Spirit is real and if we position ourselves spiritually, His voice will give us continued, personal direction.  He speaks as plainly and as clearly as you and I allow His voice to be in our lives.
  • Knowing the character of God’s voice as opposed to the enemy’s voice
    • Condemnation is the voice of the enemy; conviction is the voice of the Holy Spirit
    • The enemy’s voice is cryptic and clever; God’s voice aligns with scripture
  • When God speaks, it is in concert with His perfect timing to accomplish His prescribed plan. Waiting is a commitment to continue in obedience until God speaks.  Ask Him to give you the courage to fully engage in what he has put before you today, as well as the faithfulness to stay on the path until He gives you different or new directions.  Keep a firm confidence in His purposes, His plans – and His perfect timing.
  • We must carve out time to purposefully listen for His voice (1) through prayer, (2) meditating on His Word and (3) lingering worshipfully in His presence.
  •  Back to obedience – Obedience is not only the proactive posture we take to hear Him, but it is also the response we employ once He has spoken.
  • God will speak to the hearts of those who prepare themselves to hear.  Approach my relationship with Him from an ongoing stance of anticipation, readied and expectant to hear His voice.

So, where am I on this journey to hearing God’s voice?  Well, it is a journey and a learning process.  I’m wondering if this period of unsettledness is because God is planning a change in my life and I need to be ready to make that change.  Or, is this the work of the enemy, trying to keep me from hearing God’s voice?  Guess I’ll just have to keep practicing the things I’m learning and wait…..the hardest part.

No comments: