Sunday, September 4, 2022

Reading the Bible Through in a Year

 Do you know how many times I have started to read the Bible through in a year?  I don't either.  I don't usually make it very far before I get behind and quit.  This year, I was determined to complete this goal.

This shouldn't be that hard, right?  I broke it down into 4.1 pages a day and it shouldn't be more than 15-20 minutes a day.  I am close to being on schedule.  I may be a little bit behind, but not so behind that I feel defeated.  However, I may not take this approach to reading the Bible in the future.  

Here are some of the things that I've noticed about this plan for me:

1. Most of the time I am reading just to get through it and my comprehension is not what it should be.

2. I get frustrated when I don't understand the symbolism, which is very prevalent in the Old Testament.  And the parables.  I failed a World Literature class in college because I didn't understand symbolism.  I don't like poetry for the same reason.  Tell me exactly what you mean.  Don't make me guess or infer.

3. Whenever I sit down to read God's Word, Satan will use anything to distract me.  All kinds of things come into my mind to distract me.

4. I am also frustrated that I don't have time to dig deeper and try to understand the symbolism from commentaries and still finish in a year.

5. A lot of the Old Testament is "boring" with the genealogies and divisions of Israel that are found duplicated.  Not to mention all the laws.

6. I'm afraid that when I get to the New Testament I will be frustrated by all the practical teaching that is packed into it's pages and it will be too much to absorb.  

All that to say, this may not be the plan for me.  I think I will find something that moves at a slower pace and allows me time to research and digest.  

I spent a lot of years not doing any daily reading of God's Word.  My excuse was that I could never find the right time of day or the right plan.  Everyone learns at a different speed and in a different way.  While this may not be the best plan for me, it has been beneficial to establish a regular habit of reading God's Word.  That is never a waste of time.  If you not spending time daily in God's Word, I would encourage you to do so.  Find what works for you.

1 comment:

Christie said...

Hey Bev - I can echo your sentiments on reading through the Bible this year! I decided that since this wasn't the main source of my devotional study, I would give myself a pass on comprehending and applying ALL I have read this year. It definitely feels overwhelming at times. I figured maybe next year I could start again, and this time, take my time in different passages so I can fully understand what it is that God is trying to teach me -after all, He chose to put these specific details in the Bible - there must be something we can gain from it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts b/c I was feeling especially defeated today while reading in Ezekiel - you talk about imagery!